Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lesser Goldfinch

Latin name:  Carduelis psaltria
Spanish common name:  Dominico Dorsioscuro

When most folks think of goldfinches, they think of sleek little birds clinging to a white sock diligently pulling out the thistle seeds, their very favorite food in all the world.. When I realized we had goldfinches, I brought a year's supply of thistle seed from the United States to try to lure them in closer.  I needn't have bothered.

These scrappy little desert birds like pecans.  While dutifully ignoring my offerings of thistle seed, they delighted me for hours watching them attack broken pecans they found under the tree.  As you can see, they really get into their work.



Taking a break from their pecan harvest, they like nothing better than to flit among the leaves of the giant pecan and chatter to one other.

To learn more and hear their sing-song, click here.